It’s no surprise that in today’s talent market, it’s tough to find and keep employees. What might be surprising is what those employees are looking for. Hint: it’s not just the money.
Recruitment and retention: a checklist for the top talent market
So, what exactly attracts – and just as important keeps – today’s employees?
- Ladders that go somewhere. No working lift stops at every level. Show people growth potential… and clearly illustrate (and support) the stops to get there.
- Lattices that go somewhere else. Up isn’t the only way to go. Employees who are able to cross disciplines benefit everyone.
- Appreciation for a job well done. The words ‘thank you’ cost nothing but you’d be amazing by the ROI.
- Recognition for a job well done. Official recognition – by titles and salary increases – matter too.
- Flexible time for planned schedules. Remote and staggered hours work are among today’s more desired benefits.
- Flexibility for things that can’t be planned. Emergencies (regarding children, parents or other personal responsibilities) shouldn’t exact sideways glances, or worse… career penalties.
- Support for people today. The trendiest benefit is worth little if your employees don’t want or need it. Find out who your people are and respond accordingly.
- Help for who they’ll be tomorrow. Today’s 25-year-old is tomorrow’s working parent. And people gravitate to places where they can envision a future. Many employees told us they chose an employer that offers childcare.
Critical recruitment and retention strategies
Salary is one element of recruitment and retention. In an economy where the oft-quoted mantra is ‘benefits are the new salary’, pay will only get you so far.
The Business Benefits of becoming a Dream Company. Download the data to find out why becoming a Dream Company is important and how to become one.
Download the report.
Back to top